Hello Guest

Samurai Transfer Case Stuck

• 3 Replies

Offline Fletch#14

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Samurai Transfer Case Stuck
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to owning a Samurai. The recent problem that I can't figure out is the transfer case wouldn't shift. It started when I pulled out of the snow in 4 low and shifted to 4 high. When I shifted the transfer case it stuck in neutral.  I tried to search for the problem first and found it is a common problem when the shifter sheet goes out. I ordered a new one and went to install it when I saw the one in the case was in good condition, and the shifter rails weren't aligned.  I attempted to move the rails and was able to move the high low rail rearwards into gear but I couldn't get it to move  past neutral forward. I could not get the 4x4 rail to move. The transfer case is now in 4x4 and moves under it's own power but I need help to understand what to do next. It is a 1987. I appreciate any help.

Online fordem

Re: Samurai Transfer Case Stuck
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
Try jacking at least one front wheel, off of the ground before trying to move the 4x4 rail again - if the vehicle has been moved on a hard surface with 4WD engaged, there will be some degree of drive train "wind up" that will make it difficult to move the 4x4 shift fork - allowing one end to spin freely will relieve the binding.

As you're new to the Samurai you may not be aware that it is what is known as "part time 4WD" and the 4WD modes should not be used on a hard dry surface - if there is no slipping, the drive train will bind and it's possible to damage it.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Fletch#14

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
Thank you. I was able to relieve tension of the gears which allowed the shifter rail to move and line up. I replaced the shifter sheet and reinstalled everything and it works great.

Offline motofabio

• 87 Samurai JX TinTop
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:45 PM »
For future reference, here is a top down view of the transfer case with the shifter out, so you can see the position of the forks and their corresponding drive modes.