Hello Guest

New Here - Scored a Tracker!

• 39 Replies

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
New Here - Scored a Tracker!
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
Hello all,
Looks like a good authority on Trackers, Vitaras and whatnot around here.
I just got into a '02 Chevy Tracker 4dr today. Cute little one owner rig, with a documented history. ...Just happened to luck into it.

Our reason for buying this Tracker is to flat tow it behind a Sprinter RV. Then we can park the rv and wander off.
And of course I mess with most 4x4's I've owned. Which means I would like to lift it. Not to be a dedicated trail rig, but to be an adventurous vehicle while out and about.

I have read up (searched) on various lifts (there aren't many) and I like the Calmini. I have used Calmini before on another vehicle (bumper only) and they were ok.
The Calmini looks like the most complete kit, and supplying control arms which many suspension kits do on IFS front suspension.
Any drawbacks? Overly stiff?
I hope to go 215/75-15 tires and 1" spacers to stance it out. Just to beef the little Tracker slightly.
Looks like I will need locking hubs? (the wife don't care for that) I want to keep it flat towable, and not bog it with too big of tires.
I see many here lean away from the Calmini kit, basically for price alone and go the OME route. Doesn't the Calmini offer more?

Lets hear some Calmini opinions please!
Thanks

'02 Chevy Tracker 2.0 4wd 4dr

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: New Here - Scored a Tracker!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
I hope my finished result will be about like this (grabbed off the interweb). Nice little bugger.

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
First - do yourself a favor and google Calmini, maybe check their BBB ratings - I will not repeat what I have heard or read, but I will tell you that the last time I bought anything from Calmini was in the late nineties, back then my experience was not as good as it could have been, and that coupled with what can be found on the internet today is enough to keep me from making that mistake a second time.

Moving on - I don't think you need a lift (or spacers) to run 215/75R15 tires, I don't know what the OEM size on the Tracker is, but on a GV, it's 235/60R16 or 215/65R16, which work out to a 27.1" diameter - your 215/75R15 works out to 27.7" so not a large increase and I have a buddy running my old 225/70R16 (28.4") all terrains on his GV with no lift and no issues - if the 225's clear with no lift, then you should be fine with the slightly smaller rubber.

I'm one of the people running OME (on a Grand Vitara), camber is within spec with no camber bolts, so no need for fancy new control arms, and I'd say OME's reputation for ride quality is well deserved - general cornering & handling is superb for a two ton lifted SUV, and I have no regrets going the OME route - my one "complaint" is that OME doesn't make suspension for my Mitsubishi Pajero.

I do have freewheeling front hubs, they are not essential, the vehicle can be flat towed with or without them, so whether you choose to fit them or not is up to you, either way you will need to maintain the existing pneumatic freewheel mechanism in working order or modify the front differential to eliminate it.

Good luck with your build.

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
Excellent info, thank you FORDEM. The pneumatic hubs are a curious thing to me. I will look into maintenance on them. The system works as of right now, I think (going out to double check today).

ActuatorPumpRepair.Com   ...I found this site which is golden for anyone who has issues.

Fo the wife & I who will drive over a snowy pass, or a snowy freeway and not have the opportunity to stop, hop out to engage hubs, the auto set-up will be best. For safety reasons.

I will check on doing the OME lift for our little Old Blue.  :)

I'm learning...

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »
I have the flashing 4wd light so I have lined up an actuator should I need one. Hoping for maybe just bad lines.
Also, I have OME struts & spacers (on stock springs) lined up for a 2" lift. I'll still do the 215/75-15 tires (Toyo At-II) with 1" wheel spacers for stance. Not looking to bog my Tracker.

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
And yes my 4x4 actuator pump is faulty.  >:(  I located a refurbished pump at actuator pump repair dot com. He had one. You can send your own in for refurbish also.
I will use this thread for my mini build too. Just the basics, spacers lift, upsize tires, receiver hitch, etc. Oh and the flat tow equipment also, which is amazingly expensive, as in as much as the car cost me. ...I have to think that over. Pictures are good so I'll have a few.
I have received my Curt receiver and my rear shocks so far.  :)

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »
And yes my 4x4 actuator pump is faulty.  >:(  I located a refurbished pump at actuator pump repair dot com. He had one. You can send your own in for refurbish also.
I will use this thread for my mini build too. Just the basics, spacers lift, upsize tires, receiver hitch, etc. Oh and the flat tow equipment also, which is amazingly expensive, as in as much as the car cost me. ...I have to think that over. Pictures are good so I'll have a few.
I have received my Curt receiver and my rear shocks so far.  :)

A few notes, I put a Calmini in, took 7 months to get the kit, so look at alter ego/ Zuki nation for lifts, I have my pump that I can sell reasonably as I re geared my tracker and deleted the air actuator.
I like tight lines, big racks and sweet lines, I’m just a sofisticated Redneck!

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »

A few notes, I put a Calmini in, took 7 months to get the kit, so look at alter ego/ Zuki nation for lifts, I have my pump that I can sell reasonably as I re geared my tracker and deleted the air actuator.

I have ruled Calmini out. Stiff unyielding springs from what I have read/heard, plus poor customer service - I have experienced them personally. I just discovered Alter Ego which looks totally cool. But my Low Range 2" kit has already been purchased, and with 215/75-15 tires a simple, smart set up for my light duty use. Think rally car!  >:D

I am using my stock steel 5.5" wide wheels. I am also using 1" spacers all around for a wider stance. Not sure how good or bad that will be, and I don't need to run 'em if they make for problems. I hope my tires with spacers don't stick out more than a 1/2", as stock my tires are close to 1" under the fenders now.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Once you get your lift kit in place you will want to check your width.  You want the front end to be slightly wider then the rear, I found the handling was much improved by only running wheel spacers on the front end after a 2" lift on my 96.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
Once you get your lift kit in place you will want to check your width.  You want the front end to be slightly wider then the rear, I found the handling was much improved by only running wheel spacers on the front end after a 2" lift on my 96.

Interesting E C.
Would that be road handling, or dirt road handling, or crawling handling? I've never changed the track width front to rear. Either space it equally or no spacers at all.
I will look at my options. ...My kit came in today.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:57:46 PM by OldBlue »

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Ok, my next question is, and I have heard it both ways... Should I pull my front swaybar when my 2" lift is in? I like articulation and maybe a smoother ride without a swaybar.
I have pulled my front swaybar on another vehicle without issue although it leaned more when pushing through corners. Does the little Tracker get unruly on pavement without the swaybar? I will have fresh struts/shocks...
Whats the consensus?

Online fordem

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 04:00:18 AM »
Here's my take on it ...

IF the vehicle is going to do duty as a daily driver - the sway bar stays.
IF the vehicle is going to see highway usage - the sway bar stays.

With the sway bar removed, the vehicle is noticeably more inclined to lift & spin the "inside rear" tire in any situation where you're accelerating through a turn, for example, pulling a way from a stop light and turning through the intersection - on wet asphalt, you can break traction and swap ends with little provocation.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
I catch your drift (no pun intended) FORDEM. More negatives than positives unhooking the sway bar. I will keep it hooked up and see how our little Tracker works.
Its just city/country usage car when it gets pulled around anyhow.

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
I have a boat load of parts in the garage for our Tracker. Struts, shocks, spring spacers & wheel spacers, alignment bolts, plus I have a refurbished actuator pump in hand also.
Also I have a receiver hitch for carrying our bicycles when the Tracker is being pulled.
And of course my tire size selection is still being mulled over (as in my other thread)... a 'big' 215/75-15 or a 'smaller' 225/75-15. LOL anal I know. :-\
Gonna be an interesting end of February!

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »
Pics of said parts...  8)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:30:55 PM by OldBlue »