Hello Guest

Steel Front Axle Upgrade

• 15 Replies

Offline stan3535

Steel Front Axle Upgrade
« on: February 02, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
Hi there. I want to upgrade my 1997 Geo Tracker front axle housing and 3rd member to the steel one on the Vitara. When I do a junk yard search online for a used one they ask me for a vin number range for the Vitara. Does anyone know the range I am looking for?  Dot sure if they are even different? Are they the same if I pull one out of a automatic or manual?
Thanks tons!
Chris

Online fordem

Re: Steel Front Axle Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
The cast iron axles were fitted the 99~05 Grand Vitaras with the V6 engine & manual transmission and the 01~03 Grand Vitara XL-7 - please be aware, these axles will not have the same ring & pinion as your Tracker, they also use a different diff center (one with a pneumatic freewheel clutch) and the CV axles are going to be different, and some will have a different third member mount - in short, this is not a bolt-in swap.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline stan3535

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »

Offline stan3535

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »
The way this is advertised they lead me to believe I can just throw my 1997 Tracker gears in and use my Tracker stock CV axles? And of course the third member would also but added. I can get these pretty cheap odd a used Grand Vitara. I already broke my third member. I have a locker in my front diff. Thanks

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1989-1998-suzuki-sidekick-tracker-steel-front-axle-upgrade-kax-csh.html

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
This article from our home page may help some.  https://www2.zukiworld.com/feature_sidekickdrivetrainimprovements/  Since that article was originally written, other ways to do the swap have been developed. What you can do is drop your ring, carrier, & pinion from the aluminum 3rd member into the steel one vs. using the Samurai third. Use your axles, locker if you got it. This is all a bolt on situation (you need to get the 'snout' mount for the donor too).The gears ratios (if you choose to buy a junk yard 3rd) can be a bit more of a sticky situation as the v6 models may have different ratios vs. 4 cylinder and earlier gen depending on year. Check the junk yard's interchange... Also take a peak at our spec sheets available from the home page.

Good luck,  -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline stan3535

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
This article from our home page may help some.  https://www2.zukiworld.com/feature_sidekickdrivetrainimprovements/  Since that article was originally written, other ways to do the swap have been developed. What you can do is drop your ring, carrier, & pinion from the aluminum 3rd member into the steel one vs. using the Samurai third. Use your axles, locker if you got it. This is all a bolt on situation (you need to get the 'snout' mount for the donor too).The gears ratios (if you choose to buy a junk yard 3rd) can be a bit more of a sticky situation as the v6 models may have different ratios vs. 4 cylinder and earlier gen depending on year. Check the junk yard's interchange... Also take a peak at our spec sheets available from the home page.

Good luck,  -Eric
Thanks for getting back Eric. Yes I read that article. Its actually the one that planted the idea of this mod in my head. A couple dumb questions if u don't mind...What is a snout mount? If it is the mount on the third member, I already broke mine on my stock one.  Last question....You mention gear ratios? Well if I go to a junk yard and put my ring, pinion, and locker in the junk yard third member housing and axle housing I don't have to worry about anything to do with gearing correct?
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Offline Catalystracing

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 01:04:12 AM »
I know this may not help too much, but I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to to buy and fit a fabricated front steel diff.
It also has the short CV mod so use's the short CV's both sides.
I have done the Hagen mod also, this allows the use of hilux ( LN130) front CV's with a conversion kit, that is on of the panned projects for later.
https://www.zukparts.com/Suzuki-Vitara/Suzuki-Vitara-to-Toyota-Hilux-CV-Conversion-Kit

Cheers, Paul.
92 Vitara 16GA SWB EFI Auto 4x4 Manual hubs
Rear Lokka, front steel diff with short CV mod
2" spring lift, top hat flip
Stage 2 cam.
Disc brake conversion.

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 10:51:49 AM »
Now that you mention that, Calmini offers (or used to offer) a fabricated axle - I think it was called the anvil - and that I believe would be a direct bolt-in
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:15:41 AM »
Now that you mention that, Calmini offers (or used to offer) a fabricated axle - I think it was called the anvil - and that I believe would be a direct bolt-in

But isnt the weakness in the 3rd member? If not I'll buy that calmini today

I wish I could find a donor car with a front steel differential. Went to the yard today and every xl7 or vitara was aluminum axle. Does it need to be a 5spd? V6?

No luck with the 4cyl

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
Has anyone seen these front cv axles? Look like mini driveshafts.

I wonder who makes these

Online fordem

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 06:41:22 AM »
I haven't seen those before, and I'm curious as to how well they work - cardan joints need to be used in pairs and have the angles at each end match - which is not possible in that application - the inner joint will essentially "flex" vertically as the suspension cycles whilst the outer joint also has to flex to accommodate the steering .  I suspect there will be significant vibration possibly to the point where the vehicle is unusable at normal road speeds.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 11:55:44 PM »
These have 2 of the joints guy says they work great i might give these a shot once i can find a steel front differential

Online fordem

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 05:46:12 AM »
That is a single cardan inner joint and a single cardan outer joint - what is required is a double cardan inner joint and a double cardan outer joint - so two of the joint below, one at each end of the shaft.

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Does this look like the frint differential i need? I want a grand vitara not xl7 so i can install 26spline locker or mini spool

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 05:22:43 AM »
Yes it does - check it with a magnet to make sure it's steel - and be aware that Grand Vitaras and XL-7s (up to 2003) used the same front differential.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny