Hello Guest

Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part

• 8 Replies

Offline RJkick

Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
A rock got wedged between the frame and tank and now it has a slice \ hole in the top corner.  I used Max Steel for a few years but it is getting worse so time to address it.  What are the opinions on Weld or Salvage or New

Thanks
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline RJkick

Re: Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:15:56 PM »
Leaks a little around the filler neck as well
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline RJkick

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Radiator man Shop wants $200 to reinforce the filler neck since it is starting to push into the tank and the crack on the other side.  I know aftermarket axles are not as good as stock so I'm wondering if the stock tank is better than aftermarket Spectra Tanks at $225

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
Well, you've posed several different questions. 1st, is it worth it to repair the OEM tank? Only you can look at it & know how bad it is. & you know your skill set... can you weld it safely & properly? If it's not rusty inside or out, it might be worth doing. 2nd if you can find a clean (inside & out) salvage tank... well it's worked for 20 odd years & as long as it's good & the install is done right, you're good to go!  Buying aftermarket is touch & go, but I'll say that Spectra is a well known brand & I installed one of their radiators in my '96 a couple years before I sold it. It was every bit as well built as OEM & the only difference is it didn't have the OEM foam rubber on the top tank. I've no doubt it's still going down the road today.
Personally, if I needed to replace a gas tank, I might look into adapting the Petroworks Sammy tank into a Trackick. I've always wondered why they don't offer one specifically for Trackicks (at least last i knew)... I mean what's not to like... ABS = no rust... ever... very hard to dent or damage... comes with its own skid plate & provisions for all OEM connections including the fuel level float. A bit pricey? Yeah but it won't need to be done twice either.
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

Offline RJkick

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
How important is the fuel strainer and ball that are in the gas tank neck?  I seem to have misplaced it and cannot find one to buy either

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
How important is the fuel strainer and ball that are in the gas tank neck?  I seem to have misplaced it and cannot find one to buy either

Well, when you understand that 1) the strainer is an additional engine protection item... meaning it keeps crud out of your fuel tank & pump similar to the screen on the pickup tube, and 2) that the check ball is a safety device designed to keep you from spilling gas out of the filler neck when you gas up... if it were me, I would search long & hard to find the misplaced parts & reinstall them. There are no 'extra' parts, they all have a purpose. If you cannot find the OEM parts, I would search for the part online & replace them. Megazip.com has OEM parts, including hard to find parts... with complete parts diagrams. I've used them several times & though they can be pricey & it takes time to deliver from overseas, they are a good source of OEM Suzuki parts, I found the 'holy grail' OEM exhaust manifold the the J18 engine there, among other random parts. Hth.
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
Well, when you understand that 1) the strainer is an additional engine protection item... meaning it keeps crud out of your fuel tank & pump similar to the screen on the pickup tube, and 2) that the check ball is a safety device designed to keep you from spilling gas out of the filler neck when you gas up.

I don't think that's the purpose of the "VALVE, FUEL TANK INLET" - it certainly does NOT stop gas from spilling out of the filler neck when you fuel up.  Gas flows through the valve and when the tank is full it will "back up" into the filler neck and if you continue to fill, it will spill out - feel free to test this yourself, but, please make sure you have a sand bucket and a fire extinguisher handy.

I will agree it's a safety device - most likely designed to prevent you from dumping the contents of the tank should you lay the vehicle on it's side.  I took a look at the parts manuals for a number of randomly selected Suzuki models, and it seems to be fitted primarily to the 4WD models - sedans like the Alto, Swift & Esteem don't have them on the 2WD versions, but the 4WD versions get them, as do all versions of the Sidekick.  One thing I did note, the supposedly "roll over prone" Samurai, doesn't have one.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline RJkick

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
I'll check into pick a part I guess

Megazip.net is not opening for me

Offline RJkick

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »
megazip.net opened at home - great site tip

I am set now