Hello Guest

G13BB Jimny 1,3 1999 (Sweden) OBD1 or OBD2?

• 5 Replies

Offline Orchid70

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
G13BB Jimny 1,3 1999 (Sweden) OBD1 or OBD2?
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:31:33 AM »
Hi
A friend has bought a Jimny from 1999 (G13BB) - swapped the engine because the old was toast (G13BB engine from a Wagon R+).
He got the engine running.
Id like to be able to read some measurements because it runs poorly and when getting warm - dies. (I have been through the problem solving procerudes from the Service manual without finding anything stragne)
This car has the OBD2 connector.
But my Delphi cannot read it.
My Tech2 has the option for Jimny from 2000 and upwords.
Same thing with the SnapOn Verus (used!!!!) I just bought.
What do you guys use to read yours with?
Thank you!
Short presentation - My hubby is old school mechanic (retired and messing around with cars at home a bit) and I have learned helping him around - and the newer the cars got - the more I had to learn about computers and ECUs.

Online fordem

Re: G13BB Jimny 1,3 1999 (Sweden) OBD1 or OBD2?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:22:31 AM »
If it was made for Sweden, it's most likely OBD1 - Rhinoman's webpage might help you figure things out.  He used to offer an interface and software for Windows, but I'm not certain if he still does.

http://rhinopower.org/tech.html
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
If possible, it would be good to use all the electronics from the Jimny. Only use the 'long block' from the Wagon R+ and bolt on the intake, exhaust, everything from the Jimny. Having said all of that, This sounds like it could be as simple as a vacuum leak. If the engine is fast idling rough when cold and then as it heats up tries to idle down and start using it's sensors (coming out of an open loop pre-programmed mode) So, either there is a gross vacuum leak, or one of the inputs is so far off, the computer can not compensate. After checking for vacuum leaks, check the O2 sensor for function, then check the coolant temperature sensor (the one that goes to the computer, NOT the dash gauge)

You may find something in those three checks that will help without needed to get into the diagnostic port.

Good luck, tell us how it ends!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Orchid70

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:00:44 AM »
If it was made for Sweden, it's most likely OBD1 - Rhinoman's webpage might help you figure things out.  He used to offer an interface and software for Windows, but I'm not certain if he still does.

http://rhinopower.org/tech.html

Ive written in his forum too and tried to email him for the interface, without answer yet.

Offline Orchid70

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:27:51 AM »
If possible, it would be good to use all the electronics from the Jimny. Only use the 'long block' from the Wagon R+ and bolt on the intake, exhaust, everything from the Jimny. Having said all of that, This sounds like it could be as simple as a vacuum leak. If the engine is fast idling rough when cold and then as it heats up tries to idle down and start using it's sensors (coming out of an open loop pre-programmed mode) So, either there is a gross vacuum leak, or one of the inputs is so far off, the computer can not compensate. After checking for vacuum leaks, check the O2 sensor for function, then check the coolant temperature sensor (the one that goes to the computer, NOT the dash gauge)

You may find something in those three checks that will help without needed to get into the diagnostic port.

Good luck, tell us how it ends!

-Eric

Thanks.
I have measured O2 sensor - its good. Its the original O2 sensor and I have extended the wires with crimp connectros that have soldering ring on them - dont know what they are called - quite expensice connectors, compared to normal crimps.
I have measured the temp meter that is located in the front, top of the engine. Took it out and it wasnt much off the recommendation in the Servicebook.
I have looked at the IAC valve.
He has had the intake off and put silicon onto the joining areas. I cannot get any reaction to the eninge when spraying with Brakleen.
The vacuum leak was my initiall idea - but I found no evidence of it.
The fuel pressure regulator itself holds vacuum. There is no fuel comming out of it when engine is running - not even several minutes after.
Spark plugs are new. Coils give spark.
I have some idea of perhaps the ECU (when the weather was colder the engine run better) or fuel pump.
He used all other electronics but the camshaft sensor if I remember right.

Where is the coolant dash gauge located? It doesnt work.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Same Type of O2 sensor? Some are heated; some are not.

Soft/failing fuel pump or clogged pickup screen (in the tank) comes to mind then...

The sending unit for the gauge on the dash is located very close to the main thermostat valve at the front of the engine and should have a single spade lug to plug your wire into. They are notorious for snapping off when people are changing belts or adjusting the tension on the alternator belt.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!