Hello Guest

OME struts

• 11 Replies

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
OME struts
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:26:56 PM »
Ok, so I heard that you get a much better ride from OME struts.  I am thinking of going with these and 1.5 “ spring spacers.  Do you need to change the shocks? I heard that you can put crown vic shocks on the back.  How much lift do you get out of the OME struts.  And is the strut mount flip necessary? I priced out the OME system, ie struts, springs, shocks, that is a lot of money.  Close to the price of the Calmini 2� lift,  which gives you new control arms. That’s why I was thinking of getting by with just the struts for now?
Anybody have comments?
Thanks
Jeff

PS.
I think I invented a new mod....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 05:28:39 PM by echojeff »
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: OME struts
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:35:09 PM »
The struts by themselves wont provide any lift, they just provide suspension damping. Adding 1-1/2" spacers will fit the struts very well, but you wont need to flip the mounts, the OME struts are long enough to handle the 1-1/2" spacers. Crown vic shocks or E-150 shocks will work great in the back with 1-1/2" spacers as well. Running 1-1/2" spacers all around with the longer struts and shocks will get you just over 2" of lift up front and at least 1-1/2" of lift in the back...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 05:38:29 AM »
Then can you get away with 2" spring spacers in the back to even it out?  You dont have to worry with CV angel in the back.  Is the ride that much better with those struts?
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:15:29 AM »
Your rear suspension is a solid axle so no worries about CV angles.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:16:16 AM »
Your rear suspension is a solid axle so no worries about CV angles.

Zig

You do have to worry about the angle of the diff top mount ball joint though and possibly your propshaft (driveshaft) UJ angles. I had to relieve the propshaft yoke a little to clear the grease nipples (zirks?) in mine.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 10:38:29 AM »
Yea definately keep an eye on them, but with only 2" of lift they should be OK. I've run the Calmini 2" lift for years and everything is still OK. If you go any higher than a 2" watch those, you can mess them up easy with just a little to much lift.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:06:24 AM »
Is the ride that much better with those struts?

In a word, YES!!! They ride great and were well worth it(of course my stock struts were worn completely out, so anything would have been a major improvement!)
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Baloo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
 ;D I put Grand Vitara spring OME struts and KYB Crowm Vic s on at the begining of the summer. I netted 1.75 " front and rear even with new bumpers and a full cage! The ride is great and off road is WAY better My $.02 worth.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 06:58:14 PM »
Where can you get OME struts in the USA besides the obvious source???

I gotta replace a set eventually...

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
I was interested in checking out ARB products, so I ordered a catalog.  It had a seprate list of vendors.  I lost that list, but wrote the one down in the catalog that was near me.  Predator, in Colorado Springs.  They also sell stuff other than Heep.  One other question.  This lifting will be enough for 235/75/15's with out another mods? I just figured it would, since from my research, there is usually a little rubbing when stock. I may have to do the spring spacers first, since I will need tires before winter.  Money and time are not on my side for the struts.  It will have to be a winter project. 
Thanks for all your replies.
Jeff

Ps I found that sheet....Chux Trux in Independence 816 373 8789
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 08:35:16 PM by echojeff »
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 09:22:29 PM »
Where can you get OME struts in the USA besides the obvious source???

I gotta replace a set eventually...

email sales|removethispart|@arbusa.com ... list the part number you want (aka the struts are N103S), give them your local address, and they'll give you a local retailer.

I'm getting mine from (I kid you not) billy bobs offroad, price quote was same as prices at RRO (and I can pick up rather than pay shipping).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 04:17:46 AM »
I'm getting mine from (I kid you not) billy bobs offroad, price quote was same as prices at RRO (and I can pick up rather than pay shipping).

Picking them up and not paying shipping is the beauty of the deal! ;D  Thats what got me started thinking about the local option....
Jeff
95 Kick 4dr JLX.