Hello Guest

lockrite axel play?

• 14 Replies

Offline 90Stomper

lockrite axel play?
« on: June 26, 2005, 10:46:47 AM »
got my lockers in and they work GREAT!!  the ratchet sound and the different driving isnt to bad and worth it.  but when ever i am at a stop and start to go there is some slight hesitation before the movement from the driveshaft gets to the passanger axel.  i can feel it 'hit'.  dont notice it while driving.  lifted the rear and pass tire has about 1/8 wheel dia spin play in it before it moves the other tire.  i know this is not backlash the other wheel does not do this and i can feel the very small backlash there.  did i instal this wrong, or is this normal?
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline bashzuk

• Been zuked lately!!!
    • BashZuk's web page
Re: lockrite axel play?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »
hmm I have it the other way around the passenger side kicks out then the drivers side goes.
Course Off Road it's amazing and I don't notice this at all.
Good question I wait patiently to see the answer.
Mean Green Wheeling Machine
88 Samurai 1" Shackles SPOA with 32" Tires
It's not a Jeep thing, it's not a Suzuki thing, or a Chevy,Ford thing.
It's a wheeling thing now get out and do it!

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 11:19:16 AM »
maybe it is the other way.  i feel better knowing it not just me.  
Course Off Road it's amazing and I don't notice this at all.
ditto.  first day i tried it out.  40 ft mud hole, 36 inches of water with 12 inches of mud, got a lil nervous in the middle, down shifted and reved her up and dug right out with the water flying!  scared sh#$%ess there for a sec ;D

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »
I have an auto trans, so I have never
felt the slack in the driveline that you
are talking about, but the 1/8 turn sounds
about right.

Which springs did you use?, how many?
Did you follow the directions (I'm assuming you did)
and if you did, this should be right.

Another question is did you use your stock
sidegears, or did you order a locker with couplers ?

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
i have a fair bit of slack in my diff too. its to do with how the locker works, and the cam principle. and also what condition the shims you used, and the condition of the side gears. altogether, it adds up to a bit of slack.

i dont think there's a specific left or right side which is at fault, as you can never know which side the pin is driving. also depends on the corners and stuff. off road, where the road is loose, you will never notice it, as the tyres can spin as they like.

on road, the tyres will grip more, and it will also take more for one tyre to slip, and for the pin to drive both sides the same. even a slight bend or curve in the road will put the pin out.

when i first put mine in, i though WTF is going on? but before i put mine in, i had a good look at how they were designed, and put it together as it would be in the diff.

if it doesnt have this slack, its either broken, or installed wrong. this slack allows for the locker to move away from the side gear to unlock.

i dont mind mine, but all my mates hate it when they drive my vit. so i guess they are all welders or spoolers then. (we're too poor for the arb's)
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »
both red and yellow springs, stock side gears.  shims looked new so reused them too.

when i first put mine in, i though WTF is going on?

dito &
(we're too poor for the arb's)

dito ;D

thanks for the info all!  i feel much better.  i have had to explain the tic, tic, tic to a few people (i say it works kinda like a 10 speed bike, and then they sort of get it) but i was not ganna know what to say to that play! :D  the locker is the only thing on my rig that i really dont get how it works, and it is so damn simple! :-[  but it does work and how 8)

Offline bashzuk

• Been zuked lately!!!
    • BashZuk's web page
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 05:28:26 PM »
I love the looks in the parking lot as you pull in Esp. at the grocery store CLICK CLICK CLICK everyone looks at me like what in the heck is broken and why is he driving that. I just smile.
the bang when it goes in reverse is great too.  Best when someone doesn't know I have a locker in it gets in for a ride and wham they look around to see what fell off, or if I hit something.
Mean Green Wheeling Machine
88 Samurai 1" Shackles SPOA with 32" Tires
It's not a Jeep thing, it's not a Suzuki thing, or a Chevy,Ford thing.
It's a wheeling thing now get out and do it!

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 06:10:30 PM »
Most of the time you just use one
of the springs, I used the smaller
ones, and the clicking is fairly quiet

How it works, you will never believe
it, as the carrier rotates, the center
pins force the toothed peices apart,
putting pressure on the teeth of the
side gears, and locking the axle, a loss
of pressure, like on a corner with no
power and the two parts just click as
teeth pass each other, this is where
the little springs come into play, they
just need to supply a very slight pressure
to hold all the parts in place

Wild

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 11:38:03 PM »
auto locker stories ay??

the tyre chirping is great, and the clicking is ok too, but you get a time where the locker can't decide to lock or unlock! now this is the fun part *note sarcasm*

when going around a corner at slow speeds, no gas pedal, clutch in, or nuetral the car starts to jerk back and forth as if you were driving 2 gears higher than you should be. this abrupt jerking back and forth will not let the locker unlock at all, and all you get is loud clunking, and the jerking. also along for the ride is the tyres chirping.

when this happens, i either just stop, or give it a tad bit of boot.

only happens on a few occasions, but it does happen. to me anyway.

and sometimes you will get the massive BANG either when you start off after stopping, or when cruising and all of a sudden gassing it to over take or change lanes. this is where the tooth of the locker is sitting on the tooth of the side gear. i've had a passenger freak out and not stop staring at me until we arrived. i just acted as if nothing happened.

half empty under-cover car parks are great if you like hearing the clicking. it just echoes so nicely. and as for the tyre chirping, i have to settle down with it, as i have been pulled over 4 times for chirping my tires, and 3 of the 4 times, it was unmarked cops following.

warnings of: spinning tyres causing undue noise, spinning tyres causing smoke (yeah right), dangerous driving, and driving with-out due care.

none of which i got fines for, because i just acted like a dumb-a$$. if i were to fully explain what was going on, i would have been defected. i dont think its legal to run any type of locker on a road going vehicle. ARB can be disengaged. but spools, mini spools, welded etc will not pass inspection.

ahhhh, australia, joys of living here ay?
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:58:33 AM »
Sikid  sounds like you have the
stiffer springs in the locker, I was
reading about why they included
two sets of springs, and I thought
it said to use the softest spring you
could, so I went with the light ones.

At first you look at these little things
and think theres no way that little thing
is going to do any good, but they don't
really take any force or stress, they just
keep it all in place

Wild

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
Hi team.
I pulled my diff out the other day after a another Zuk clubby had blown his locker up. The boss broke off of the side gear ( Hard locker installed ). I was a little concerned and had to check mine. I was gutted to find that the side gears on mine have got several cracks running through the trough in the splines - S&*T. Has anyone else found / had this experience?
My axles are all in good shape and the dif housing is like new so I am a little disapointed.
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 12:50:12 PM »
To anyone interested they are Sammy lockers.
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 02:23:08 AM »
i've had a passenger freak out and not stop staring at me until we arrived. i just acted as if nothing happened.
 LOL ;D

had this happen the other day as i pulled out of the gas station.  the guy in the next bay head snapped around so fast, he prob thought i drove off with the hose in. ;D

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 08:13:04 AM »
I was leaving a gas station nearest to a 4x4 playground ... my spool went chirp-chirp-chirp and I heard one word from a bystander ... SPOOL ... them that know get it :)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline gv1600

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 07:39:35 AM »
hi all.!!

need some help!!

i finally bought the LOCK-RIGHT for the GV (1600cc-3d-2003mod) and we installed it yesterday evening. all was done fine (untill the road check) but finally something we did wrong when we were installing it.
so, the Right axle shaft is almost always locked and the Left axle shaft sometimes locks and some NOT.
i dont even listen to that noice (clank-clank) when turning (the right axle is locked), and also when i drive straight the car is moved from the right axle shaft as i understand ,and a few times from right+left both locked.

imagine that u drive straight and u have 2nd gear in about 3000rpm, ...............if straight road, the car must be locked from left and right axles,right?

then when we still have 2nd gear and about 3000rpm and u try to press the gas pedal, the car
suddenly moves to the left side of the road and its a bit difficult to handle it (and dangerous too), and if u leave the gas pedal the car suddenly moves to the right side of the road!!!!!

i know that this is not normal.
i believe that locker tries to work but something is wrong and it cant do it correct most of the times.

i have 2 washers in each coupler, do i need to remove one and give more space there,?Huh
what are you guys with VITARAS have done with the washers? u continue usiing the factory 2 washers or u moved the one away and kept the thinner one onto the coupler???

i believe that there must be the problem (washers maybe), but dont know what to do with it.
do i have to remove one from each side and test it again? do i MUST use both washers in each side as from factory?HuhHuh

also i have a little problem with the gears.....when trying to change from 1st to 2nd or else, something goes wrong in the carrier (a deep short sound, but i dont know excactly)
and that problem in the carrier goes also to the gears.
any ideas?Huh

any  help and options please?????

thanks in advance!!!

vasilis
Suzuki GV Calmini 2,5'' - Full Steel V6 Frond Diff - 205/80/16 KL71 -
4.24 t-case - T-Max 6500 - VTTR Snorkel - ProTrack Air-Lockers F/R