Hello Guest

Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part

• 3 Replies

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
Re: Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
Well, you've posed several different questions. 1st, is it worth it to repair the OEM tank? Only you can look at it & know how bad it is. & you know your skill set... can you weld it safely & properly? If it's not rusty inside or out, it might be worth doing. 2nd if you can find a clean (inside & out) salvage tank... well it's worked for 20 odd years & as long as it's good & the install is done right, you're good to go!  Buying aftermarket is touch & go, but I'll say that Spectra is a well known brand & I installed one of their radiators in my '96 a couple years before I sold it. It was every bit as well built as OEM & the only difference is it didn't have the OEM foam rubber on the top tank. I've no doubt it's still going down the road today.
Personally, if I needed to replace a gas tank, I might look into adapting the Petroworks Sammy tank into a Trackick. I've always wondered why they don't offer one specifically for Trackicks (at least last i knew)... I mean what's not to like... ABS = no rust... ever... very hard to dent or damage... comes with its own skid plate & provisions for all OEM connections including the fuel level float. A bit pricey? Yeah but it won't need to be done twice either.
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

Offline rjkick

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Radiator man Shop wants $200 to reinforce the filler neck since it is starting to push into the tank and the crack on the other side.  I know aftermarket axles are not as good as stock so I'm wondering if the stock tank is better than aftermarket Spectra Tanks at $225
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline rjkick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:15:56 PM »
Leaks a little around the filler neck as well
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline rjkick

Fuel Tank Repair\Weld VS New VS Pick a Part
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
A rock got wedged between the frame and tank and now it has a slice \ hole in the top corner.  I used Max Steel for a few years but it is getting worse so time to address it.  What are the opinions on Weld or Salvage or New

Thanks