Hello Guest

Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...

• 59 Replies

Offline mrhawk

• I Love ZUKS
Re: Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 01:29:16 AM »
I like my 1,6 8v, enough power to runt 35s on the street and it is a super easy swap.

I have a friend who runs a vw 1,6 td with some extra turbo boost, that thing has so much power!

I know some people with volvo 2,3 litres to, plenty of power, but seem a bit to nose heavy to me.

Personally I feel that the light weight of the samurai is one of its biggest advantages, I would never put a heavy engine in one of these.

Offline 4x4troy

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
i am starting a motor swap on my 89 jx sidekick here real soon.it has a blown 1.6 in it ... well in the back of it...lol.and i have a 2.3 ford turbo motor...out of an 86 svo mustang...anybody ever do a 2.3 ford swap on one?
'89 sidekick jx,4x4,1.6,5 spd.,my project

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:05 AM »
I like my 1,6 8v, enough power to runt 35s on the street and it is a super easy swap.

I have a friend who runs a vw 1,6 td with some extra turbo boost, that thing has so much power!

I know some people with volvo 2,3 litres to, plenty of power, but seem a bit to nose heavy to me.

Personally I feel that the light weight of the samurai is one of its biggest advantages, I would never put a heavy engine in one of these.

I too experienced 1.6 td. The turbos provide awesome raw power at low rpms as well. Its best suited for Samurai.

Offline ASI H8

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »
Diesel all the way. Better fuel economy, and you can make your own fuel from french fry grease.
Lol I work in an asian restaurant and they told me they'd give me all the soybean oil I want...now to figure how to make that into fuel... ::)
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline firemedic396

• My other truck is a HUMMER!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »
Diesel all the way. Better fuel economy, and you can make your own fuel from french fry grease.
Lol I work in an asian restaurant and they told me they'd give me all the soybean oil I want...now to figure how to make that into fuel... ::)
Doesn't sound like a bad deal as long as you have the time and effort to make your own fuel.
Why is there enough religion to encite hatered and wars, but not enough to enstill tolerance and peace?

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
sorry but i am pretty sure the toyote 22r/re is 2.4l not 2.2 i figured that is what you were talking about, the 20r is a 2.2l carbeurated from earlier yotas.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »

fwiw soybean oil makes great bio-diesel and the best stuff comes from Asian restaurants! or you can run it straight with a wvo kit!   
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline mattlofbc

• Its a GEO thing... I don't understand either
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
I see no option for the GSXR 1300 Hyabusa.... or the Suzuki 3.6l TT monster hillclimb special.....  actually the one i want to see most to stay in true suzuki fashion would be this...

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562069.htm

400hp
245ft/lbs of torque
all in a 200lb engine  ;D... mmmmhhmmm I want one in my geo... doesnt quite fit in my budget... or my mortgage
'93 Geo Tracker 8V
     Dana 44 SAS 4 Link - 14" travel
     33" Pitbull Rocker's
'96 Geo Tracker 16V
     Custom Bumpers and Cage      29" Goodyear Wrangler MTR's '94 Geo Tracker 8V       5" IFS frame drop and lengthen... NO rear susp or axle at all, its 2x2 off road machine lol      33" Pitbull Rocker's

Offline CAMELPRO

• "Her name is Suzi."
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
New guy here. Gotta put my vote in for the 16V 1.6. I, too, am seriously considering busting open my piggy bank to get started on this swap. My poor ol 1.3 still runs good, but it's just not cut out for the other mods it's having to haul around.
88.5 Suzuki Samurai
6.5 Transfer case gears
6" YJ Spring over
2.5"lift springs
OTT Stage I Steering
40x13.50R17 Pro Comp XTerrains
Stock 1.3L + header at the moment
Stock axles at the moment

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
factory ponnies.    16 valve 1.6 L

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
<Zuk only rant>

Hi my name is James and I've been doing the Suzuki thing for quite a while, my first one would be 'to die for' now, I bought it new: 1984 LWB SJ410, beautiful dark metallic green paint and the 1.0l 4cyl, 48 hp motor! (235s added) I took it all over N.A. and had many, many inquiries about it. Even took it to Pismo, quite a story, maybe another time...  ;)

I still have and love my midnight black '92 Samurai that I bought new in '91, I put 50k km on it for the next 4/5 years. When the rocker shaft screws punched a hole in my head in '96 I decided to up-size to a 1.6 16v from a Swift sedan that also had TBI.  Near the end of the splicing/integration of the wiring for the new manifold/ECM I decided it was a bad idea because of the different fuel pressure requirements and ECM/relay/VSS issues etc, youthful enthusiasm got the best of me. Most of my Zuk buddies were running 1.3GT motors at the time in invisible check engine mode: with fuel economy and overheating/lean issues for all, they still made a ton 'o HP though with just a good exhaust & intake. Last time I checked long 4cyl like motors like Toyotas don't fit very well because of lack of acc. pulley/radiator room, I personally would never just rely on an external aftermarket elec. fan for cooling.

The 1.6 8v I swapped in allows the existing intake and exhaust to be used, the motor is 30mm taller and I have no hood clearance issues. I did change the tbi body with a 1.6 version because of the larger throat bore, just had to T one vacuum line. There are two Sami ecms that have significantly different max. parameters for fuel, mines a Mitsubishi if that helps, sorry, I can't remember the specifics right now. I've been driving with this set-up for 15 years now, the motor has about 200k km on it and it still runs as strong, cool and super efficient as ever.  A really good cam, intake, ignition and exhaust really makes the boring 8v come to life and returns great mpg and is super reliable too. My vote is obvious.

I also recently sold my black 2001 2.0l auto 2dr Vitara to a buddy because of the mediocre fuel economy amongst other things, he's very happy and so am I.  :laugh: I just bought a perfect, 1 owner, black 93 JA Sidekick tintop (1.6 8v) with 33k km! on it for a stupidly low ($2700cdn) amount of cash, we were both happy with the deal but I couldn't stop grinning for at least a day. She'll be all Suzuki just like my other Zuk, I could post a build-up thread here as well but it may be kinda boring for some. :laugh:

~J
<end Zuk only rant>
-black '92 Samurai, bought new
-black '93 Sidekick, tintop

Offline mrdezyne

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »
in this location was once a stupid question.  I have since then answered my own.

GEO 1.8 GSI motor = 120hp  and is also based on an isuzu 4ZD1 block

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:13:31 AM by mrdezyne »

Offline augeter

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
My vote is for the 1.6 8V with a CV carb. This is what I have on my DD TT and the low end power is fantastic! I purchased the 100K mile engine for $350, made my own adaptor, used HD CV carb for $50, two 6 packs for my friend to weld up the intake, all new hoses $60, one Dodge motor mount $5, used 1.6 exhaust manifold $40, 2" flex for the exhaust $20, misc nuts & bolts. I have ALL the parts to install a 16V but after driving this for 3 years and 100K+ more miles, I see no gain for what I have invested in the 8V. I may sell the 16V or put it in another TT if I can find one cheap enough. I have invested more in the 16V conversion parts than I have invested in my TT including the purchase price. For me this was my best bang for the buck.
"It seems common sense just isn't very common anymore"- Eustace 2012

Offline jhons80

• online cpe
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 05:36:06 AM »
Just wanted to give you a shout from the valley of the sun, great information. Much appreciated.
 *Link Removed*