Hello Guest

Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...

• 59 Replies

Offline soopazuk

Re: Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 05:54:11 PM »
well, we swapped something new, a 2.2 diesel r2 mazda.

tons of body work, but now running fine even on stock diffs and axles.

just take care of the 1st gear though. very low-range gearing.

Offline pablop

1.6 8v performance
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 05:09:53 AM »
I drive a '97 Suzuki Samurai SJ80 with a 1.3 carbureter engine and 28" tyres. It's got enough power for offroading, very nippy in city traffic and reach 120kph on a flat road (even 140kph downhill), but uphill it falls down to 80 and even 70kph!!
Will the 1.6 8v carbureter engine be able to maintain 120kph uphill? What's the top speed of a Samurai fitted with this engine?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 1.6 8v performance
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »
I drive a '97 Suzuki Samurai SJ80 with a 1.3 carbureter engine and 28" tyres. It's got enough power for offroading, very nippy in city traffic and reach 120kph on a flat road (even 140kph downhill), but uphill it falls down to 80 and even 70kph!!
Will the 1.6 8v carbureter engine be able to maintain 120kph uphill? What's the top speed of a Samurai fitted with this engine?

The 1.6L engine 8-vavle is rated at 85hp, the 1.6l 16v multi-port fuel injection at 95hp.

We don't have the SJ80 over there, but they came with both the 1.3l and 1.0l engine.  In most markets the SJ80 had a 1.3L engine in 97, but I can't find if it's Fuel injected or not.  The 1.0l carb was rated at 45hp stock, the 1.3l carb at 65hp.  But if you have the 1.3l multi-port fuel injection motor that they have on the Gypsy then your rated at 75hp stock, so won't see that large of a jump going up to the 1.6l 8 vavle. 
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
The US version of the 8V engine was rated at 80 HP, but there is a
significant difference in torque, the 1.6L engine is a 1mm over bore
but 15mm stroked 1.3 engine, and this stroke increase really adds
to the "power" you get, torque is the power, not the HP, but they
are linked. In a Diesel engine the torque is roughly double the HP
figure, where on the gasoline engines, it is roughly the same as HP
figures, so a 80 HP diesel has a much greater power factor than it's
80 HP gas counterpart

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline jesusno2

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »
If the 1.6 ever takes a dump in my zuk my engine combo will be a nissan 240sx ka engine with a nissan 720 4x4 trans plenty of hp fuel injection (which i know very well)  and the early 4x4 trannys were a divorced unit and will bolt up directly to a nissan ka series engine. or the diesel is interesting too but im not a huge fan of sludge burners.

Offline darstar

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
I was wondering where would be the best place to find a Swift DOHC 1.3 , or did they also make a 1.8 ?  Seems the best fit for my 87 Samurai ?  Any thoughts or coments ?  I am new to this generation as my last Suzuki was a 2 cycle ? , and that was in the 70s....gives you some idea of my age.......Just needed for ATV two track trails due to the width of 60 inches., and Its fun to dribe. I will be using 31s and I guess lower gears. Its a stone stock tin  top. I almost hate to touch it.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
Hi.
Kinda new to this site.
Owner -Resurrection Iron Works.
I recently started a Samurai build and have been contemplating the very thing we are now discussing.
 After researching all of these swaps listed and a few more that were overlooked. I have decided to go with a Datsun L-18
With a Datsun dog leg 5 speed.
 The L-18 produces 105 hp (stock)  carbureted. This engine is known for its power, it's ability to spool , and it's reliability.
While the L-18s are becoming scarce the L-16 Datsun motor at 96hp (carburetor) is prevalent and cheap.
Dimensional they are very similar to the above mentioned 4 bangers but produce better power without the need of computers and expensive and troublesome EFI units.
 I grew up racing Datsun 510s and Z cars . I may have a bit of a love affair with these engines.. But it is well deserved...
The engine pictured is a duel curbed SSS 1800 ( L-18T) 110hp on regular gas. 102 fb of torque. and will run at 8000 rpm all day.
Its mated to a drop pan  Datsun 4 speed (Bullet proof tranny)
 We installed it into a 1966 MGB With amazing results......
With an Iron block and an aluminum head it going to be slightly heavier than the 1.3 , but not enough to make a significant difference.

Once we get the new engine prepared for the install I will start a build thread on this site......Boxcar...
I gues I should mention...The engine for the Samurai will not be running duel carbs . It will be preped with a holly 2bbl.
on a Bob Sharp Manifold. L-20b stock cam - Mallorym electromic ignition......etc..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:58:08 AM by Boxcar »
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline darstar

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
I'd say the 2.0 for the big jump in power with only a little jump in weight.
X2. Thats what I voted for, and am planning on. I'm also a fan of the dohc 1.3 out of the swift gti. I want one for the white zuk.

Offline zukiking

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »
Ive been in samis with v8s and ive had one with a 4.3 the swap was a pain. the sami i have now ive swapped in a fuel injected cammed 2.3l ford and auto tranny I love the power and if you have a good donor vehicle the swap isnt too bad. I can actually pass 18 wheelers now >:D

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Has anybody thought about sawping in a honda k motor or heard of anybody that has done it? I know u can bolt a honda s 2000 6sp trans to it. I don't know the deminsions but I do know you can make 300hp at the rear tires with a cam swap and re flash of the computer. :-

Offline hoserjoe

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »
What about the Suzuki 2.3 (155hp) from the Suzuki Areo?   It's a bolt-in, but it's not mentioned in your survey.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
What about the Suzuki 2.3 (155hp) from the Suzuki Areo?   It's a bolt-in, but it's not mentioned in your survey.

It's on there now... I wouldn't call it 'bolt in' but neither are a lot of the other engine choices.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Joe Llamahead

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »
Has anybody thought about sawping in a honda k motor or heard of anybody that has done it? I know u can bolt a honda s 2000 6sp trans to it. I don't know the deminsions but I do know you can make 300hp at the rear tires with a cam swap and re flash of the computer. :-

Most Honda engines rotate in th opposite direction , that may be rectified through the longitudinal  (rwd) transmission idk just. Heads up  to those considering Honda engines

Offline tombstone

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
Guess I'll be the "odd ball" on this thread.Had a '88.5 Samurai and the stock engine started knockin,so I intstalled a Buick V6 3.8 ltr,carburated.Then went with a 200m GM auto tranny,only a 3 spd automatic.Worked out good but I never could get it enouph cooling with the stock cooling setup.I would drive it all around but when I got to my destination no matter 15 min or a hour it would be -hot- and would geyser!!Had to fab the motor mounts and tranny mount and had to move the t-case back about 10 inches,this REALLY shortened that rear driveshaft!!Also ment that my intermediate shaft was basically a solid piece that slipped into the yoke at the front of the tranny,with only a u-joint on the engine side.

Offline plumcrazy2

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
the samurai that i had i put a 2.4 l z24  engine out of an old nissan 720 pickup. with nitrous and quite a bit of engine work it worked awesome