Hello Guest

Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...

• 59 Replies

Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere....but i didnt see it

Just trying to get everyones opinion on the best engine swap for a samurai

Rocky road sells a bunch of conversion kits ranging from turning your 1.3 into a 1.6 or a 1.9 VW turbo diesel or a Vortec V6

just curious as too peoples experience with these different motors and which are best for the money. Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:23:09 AM by ebewley »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Best samurai engine swap?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
I smell a poll coming on! :)

This is a tough one because the use of the vehicle plays a significant role in what engine may be best. Let's assume overall driving enjoyment, performance, and reliability as the key points.

-Eric
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:22:46 AM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Best samurai engine swap? POLL INSIDE! PLEASE VOTE...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
Don't forget ease of installation.

I'm a big fan of the 1.6L installs so you can put in a Kicker 3 or Shogun setup and get a two speed transfer case.  
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:25:23 AM »
I have been (passenger and/or driver) in :
4.3L V-6 Sami
305 V-8 sami (really does not count due to front suspension being way overloaded and we could not get it out of the parking lot
1.3L Zuk
1.6L Zuk

The most impressive performance I experienced was in a near stock 1.6L (Zuk) Sami. BUT, I did see group of guys at a ZukiMelt one year running RX-7 rotary motors in their Sami's  :o WOW those things were fast in the sand. Never saw them on the trails though.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
I have been (passenger and/or driver) in :
4.3L V-6 Sami
305 V-8 sami (really does not count due to front suspension being way overloaded and we could not get it out of the parking lot
1.3L Zuk
1.6L Zuk

The most impressive performance I experienced was in a near stock 1.6L (Zuk) Sami. BUT, I did see group of guys at a ZukiMelt one year running RX-7 rotary motors in their Sami's  :o WOW those things were fast in the sand. Never saw them on the trails though.

Zig

Oh yeah, rotary... I forgot... I'll add that and a couple others that are sort of common that I just thought of.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline firemedic396

• My other truck is a HUMMER!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
It depends on what you terrain you wheel on as to how much power you need (or want). Ease of installation can argueably be the 1.6/1.8 motors, or the 2.0/2.5/2.7 motors. The 4.3 Chevy is a powerhouse and does fit nicely, but I have heard complaints from people that they are super heavy or that they are a pain to put in (not mention expensive). The diesel swaps are also desirable for the down low power and are not too hard to put in. The downside is that they can be very expensive to collect all the parts and install. The rotory motors makes gobs of power and great for mud/sand racing, but take more fabrications skills to install as there really isn't any conversion kits made for them.......yet. I guess it's all up to the individual driver as to what their needs are.
Why is there enough religion to encite hatered and wars, but not enough to enstill tolerance and peace?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
I would vote 1.6 8V for easiest installation, 1.6 16V for best all round motor. As I only get one vote I'll go 16V for best combination of weight/power and ease of installation.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
Diesel all the way. Better fuel economy, and you can make your own fuel from french fry grease.

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
I'd say the 2.0 for the big jump in power with only a little jump in weight.
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Can't tell you for the Sammy but I've driven a '95 Tracker 2 door with a 2.7 for about 30,000 street miles and the power is far more fun than I could imagine with a 4 banger.  Swap is fairly straightforward; I don't notice any evil characteristics from the added weight compared to a stock 1.6L 16v as I imagine you would with the 4.3.  A 4.3 is about 195 hp compared to the 2.7's 183 hp.  Considering power to weight I would imagine the 2.7 would be faster but I've never made an actual comparison.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Can't tell you for the Sammy but I've driven a '95 Tracker 2 door with a 2.7 for about 30,000 street miles and the power is far more fun than I could imagine with a 4 banger.  Swap is fairly straightforward; I don't notice any evil characteristics from the added weight compared to a stock 1.6L 16v as I imagine you would with the 4.3.  A 4.3 is about 195 hp compared to the 2.7's 183 hp.  Considering power to weight I would imagine the 2.7 would be faster but I've never made an actual comparison.

Except for your post----The input was for a Sammy----Is there a thread that shows the same poll for the Trackers with 2dr/4wd.

Happy

Offline Snorkeld_Zuk

• HAMMER DOWN!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »
I'd say the 2.0 for the big jump in power with only a little jump in weight.
X2. Thats what I voted for, and am planning on. I'm also a fan of the dohc 1.3 out of the swift gti. I want one for the white zuk.
88 Samurai: (White Zuk) Lifted, locked, geared, caged, etc
88.5 Samurai: (Red Zuk) Project pile

Offline jow003

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 06:17:57 AM »
i saw somewhere a samurai sporting a LS 2 corvette engine, id get in too much trouble :police:
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline Zukirat

• Zukin in Largo FL
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
Hi everyone, I am new to the site. I have an 86' sammy with a 7" lift, 6.5:1 gears, 31x10.5 tire on 15" wheels and I am now looking into an engine swap. Like everyone else I am troubled as to what to install, although after much deliberation and searching I am very seriously considering the 1.6 16V. Because I believe the 4.3 is too heavy. The 1.6 will also except mt stock sammy tranny, which I like. If anyone can give me feed back on that I would appreciate it. The 1.6 has 120hp stock and there are many performance upgrades that can be done to give more HP and torque.

Zukirat
1986 Sammy 9" lift, 31"x10.5, 6.5:1 gears, custom front bumper, weber carb, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Offline jow003

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
ill be right at about that same height, do you have a pic of your rig?
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s