Hello Guest

Tracker ground clearance sag?

• 31 Replies

Offline z28jeff

Re: Tracker ground clearance sag?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »
I used these Moog camber correction bolts on the last Tracker I lifted with the 2" spacer lift. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=204221&cc=1410501&jsn=5 
I only used 2 of those bolts though, (1 on each side in the bottom location). Would it be advisable or even safe to use 4 camber correction bolts? That would certainly give enough adjustment to get camber back to 0, but I would worry about tensile strength since those bolts can't possibly be a strong as their straight though counterparts. I've always wondered if anyone has done it that way, or if I was just over thinking it.
2003 Tracker 4 door 2.0 auto
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD
2002 Corvette Z06

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Fordem & Old Blue,

Might I impose one last question to the experts on their opinions of this lift kit? (below as attachment)

Is there anything I should be considering with the set up/materials? I realize now that this won't offer any extra lift on the rear diff, but that's ok.
I guess camber may be an issue eh? What about the added struts - necessary, or just an add-on?

Thanks again for all the help on this file doods!

Online fordem

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
From the description, that kit appears to be for the previous generation of Trackers (it mentions a "rear upper diff link spacer") - Altered Ego does offer an equivalent spacer kit, for a 2003 - there's no link I can repost, but here's a cut & paste of the text description.
Our 2" Spacer Lift comes with all you need! All coil spacers, strut spacers, extended brake line, rear shocks and panhard bracket.

Looking at that I'd say it's got all of the required pieces, which is something that I cannot say for all of the kits out there - regarding the struts - if yours are relatively new, you could hold on to them, if they are the originals, it's time for a change.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
Looking at that I'd say it's got all of the required pieces, which is something that I cannot say for all of the kits out there

Nice, this is good to hear (and thanks for pointing me in the direction of the kit for the 2003!). From your previous post, I understand that the rear diff clearance won't increase. With this particular spacer set-up, would the 2 inch lift increase clearance for everything else?

I will check out the struts as well to see if I should replace them at this time as well, thanks for that tip eh!

Online fordem

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
What does "clearance for everything else" really mean?  A two inch spacer lift will lift the frame of the vehicle and pretty much everything attached to it by approximately two inches.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
What does "clearance for everything else" really mean?
Means I don't know sh*t about vehicles  :D

A two inch spacer lift will lift the frame of the vehicle and pretty much everything attached to it by approximately two inches.
See above - does this include cross member, front diff, oil pan, transfer case. muffler, fuel tank? As you can surmise - ultra-newbie here.

Offline z28jeff

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 12:27:41 PM »
Means I don't know sh*t about vehicles  :D
See above - does this include cross member, front diff, oil pan, transfer case. muffler, fuel tank? As you can surmise - ultra-newbie here.
Here is a pic I took when I installed a 2" spacer lift on my 02 ZR2 Tracker.
See the red spacer over the spring? That is the one that lifts the vehicle ~2". It would also do roughly the same thing if I had just installed a 2" taller spring. That is where the lift comes from. Once that lift has been established, the stock strut is no longer long enough for the new range of motion. That's what the other red spacer is for over the strut.,to bring the strut back down lower than the spring spacer to get it back to a stock range. OME sells longer struts that eliminate the need for that spacer, but they are much more expensive. They're great, but you pay for that. The same problem exists in the rear once the spring spacer has been installed, but longer shocks are easy to fit in place of the stock ones.
Make sense?
2002 Corvette Z06

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »

Make sense?

Big ups Jeff, thanks man! Seeing the pic and reading the description you provided helps immensely - I get it now. Really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to getting the lift for summer mountain trip season to open up more possibilities. There are a few FSRs I have shied away from that I think I will be able to tackle with a bit more clearance.

Online fordem

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »
does this include cross member, front diff, oil pan, transfer case. muffler, fuel tank?

Everything that is not directly attached to the wheels will be lifted - cross member, front diff, oil pan, transfer case, muffler all will go up - the inner ends of the front control arms which are attached to the cross member go up, the outer ends which are attached to the knuckles do not, the center section of the sway bar which are attached to the frame goes up, the outer section that attaches to the arm goes up about half the height of the lift.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline z28jeff

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 05:38:13 AM »
Big ups Jeff, thanks man! Seeing the pic and reading the description you provided helps immensely - I get it now. Really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to getting the lift for summer mountain trip season to open up more possibilities. There are a few FSRs I have shied away from that I think I will be able to tackle with a bit more clearance.

This is the end result of that spacer lift with 30x9.50 A/T Tires.
2002 Corvette Z06

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
Nice one Jeff! Your Tracker looks great with the spacer lift. How is it now on the logging roads/off-road?

I am still humming and hawing about going with the 2" coil space from Altered Ego, or the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift from Rocky Road.

When you did the spacer lift, was the ride quality affected? Any issues with camber adjustment afterwards?

Offline z28jeff

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 05:43:43 AM »
Nice one Jeff! Your Tracker looks great with the spacer lift. How is it now on the logging roads/off-road?

I am still humming and hawing about going with the 2" coil space from Altered Ego, or the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift from Rocky Road.

When you did the spacer lift, was the ride quality affected? Any issues with camber adjustment afterwards?

I sold that Tracker 6 months ago, and am now in the process of building another one with the same spacer lift. I used KYB struts and shocks, and the ride was great. I did have a mild camber issue even with the camber adjustment bolts added. I could never get camber much less than 1 degree positive. It was still within factory spec, so I just lived with it. It didn't affect tire wear, and you couldn't really see it with the naked eye unless you stared at it straight on and tilted your head just right. I didn't do a lot of off-roading with it, but I did take it off pavement a time or two to see what it could do. With nothing but the 2" spacer lift and 30" tires, I thought it performed perfectly. You can see in some of the attached pictures, that the rear tire articulated nicely up into the wheel well and didn't rub anything. That was on stock wheels, no spacers, and 30x9.50 A/T tires.
2002 Corvette Z06

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
Nice one Jeff, thanks for the information and sharing the pics. The last pic looks alot like some of the FSR logging roads we end up on out here in BC, good to know that you find the 2" lift sufficient. Leaning towards the OME 1.5" lift with a 225/70/16  tire if that will fit - been spending wayyyy to much time scrolling this forum. Rad resource here.

I am super stoked to get out there this summer for hiking backpacking; hoping that the lift will increase the areas we can explore!

What vehicle did you get after the Tracker?

Online fordem

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »
I ran 225/70R16 Dunlop GrandTreek AT3s on a 98 GV with OEM 16x7 alloy rims and the OME springs/struts/shocks - no rubbing anywhere, provided the toe is set correctly - those tires are now on a friends stock height GV, and he has had no issues with them rubbing.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline CoastMtns

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
I ran 225/70R16 Dunlop GrandTreek AT3s on a 98 GV with OEM 16x7 alloy rims and the OME springs/struts/shocks - no rubbing anywhere, provided the toe is set correctly - those tires are now on a friends stock height GV, and he has had no issues with them rubbing.

Sweet, I am thinking of going with the same set up for the Tracker - glad to hear that that size was no trouble! Here's another newbie question for ya: when looking at current tire vs. a new larger tire, is it the increase in tire diameter that translates to the gain in clearance? Just trying to figure out how much increase in clearance we would get with the 225 set-up after the 1.25 OME lift.