Hello Guest

"RockMolester" Frankenstein suspension - thoughts on the part list?

• 11 Replies

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: "RockMolester" Frankenstein suspension - thoughts on the part list?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
Just a budget friendly suggestion...I have the same rig you do...I am running stock 2000 4 cyl 2x4 Tracker springs on the front ($40 junk yard pick), and they provided around 2” of lift. I won’t speak to ride quality yet, as it still has the original struts which are shot, but it didn’t ride any worse after the spring swap.  You could also pick up the rear springs and use them, but I opted to just put the stock front springs in the rear.  I already have a LROR 2” spacer lift, so we are sitting around 4” lifted all around.  It already had longer shocks in the rear, so I haven’t done anything with them.  I also haven’t done anything with front struts either.  I don’t think I have very much down travel available in the front, but I am ok with that for now, since I haven’t dropped my diff yet, or extended brake lines.  So it sits taller, but doesn’t have any more extension.  Once I get the diff dropped and longer brake lines I will look at going with longer struts up front.

Online trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
I ran those OME 962/955 springs on my first 4dr and honestly I thought the ride was pretty firm/jarring when the tracker wasn't loaded down which was most of the time. It did look good but I wouldn't run it again.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 01:52:17 AM »
Looking forward to seeing / reading more about your rig.

Offline BiggDogg420

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 04:18:16 AM »
I am running the RockMolester setup on my Sport and it has done well for me.  Getting rear shocks that I am happy with, took the longest.  I am still searching for something that I am happy with.
Thank you RIDJOBRADI. That’s is a lot of great information. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I will also check out those build threads you mentioned.
97 4Door 4x4 Stock Sidekick
(Kinda Runs)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 01:18:30 AM »
I am running the RockMolester setup on my Sport and it has done well for me.  Getting rear shocks that I am happy with took the longest.  I am still searching for something that I want  to use for the long term.

On the Sport, I wasn't able to use the same spacers that Rockmolester used.  I used the Jeff / Low Range spacer kit, but turned down the spacer length with a lathe to get the exact height I wanted.  The Low Range kit is more expensive, but it worked for me and the other spacers would not fit over my factory bump stops.  If you spend a bit of time on the site that Fordem recommended, you will find spacers that will work.  You don't need a lathe to turn the lengths down.  You can scribe the length on the spacers and use a belt sander or other means.

The lift can be completed without a spring compressor, but it is much safer and easier with one. You can rent a spring compressor from your local chain auto parts store.  The HF spring compressor needs to be slightly modified to compress the front springs far enough to insert the spring into position.  The back corner of the clamps need to be ground with an angle grinder, otherwise the corner hits the next coil.  Just use the grinder to round the edge enough to clear the next coil.  You are not reducing the thickness to less than any other part of the compressor.  You may not have the same issue, proceed at your own risk, blah, blah, blah.  If you do have the same issue, it will be evident when you try to install it.  Test your suspension with no springs, so that you can determine the required length of bump stops and limit straps.  I also used the Low Range extended front brake lines.

With all your parts and tools on hand, you can complete the lift in one day.  If you have a reasonably capable person to help, you can finish before lunch.  With two people, you can lift one end and each work a side.

Read through BRD HNTR's and his son Drone's build threads.  They are very informative.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:11:54 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline BiggDogg420

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
I have the "RockMolester kit" and I was able to install it with the exception of 1 spring in the front.  I say go for it and as long as you work logically you should have no problem.  At worst you get some help with 1 or more things that you are unable to complete.  I love the kit but I did have a Calmini lift with the diff drop installed so I can't speak to an install from scratch.

Good upgrade and go for it

Please post what you can and don't be afraid to ask about anything.  May have a Zuk member near you as well to assist

Thank you rjkick. This is my first build so I’m a little apprehensive when it comes to what parts to run for a good first time set up. Just from what I found in the forums, and as you said, this is a good upgrade. But I haven’t seen anybody do it recently. I have also checked out the alteredego 3” deluxe kit. It’s pricy to me, but it looks like a good set up as well. For $300 more (than the “Frankenstein” kit) you get some nice upgrades as well. So I’m kinda stuck between those 2 once I finish rebuilding my motor. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. As I go about fixing and assembling my rig I’ll try to post pictures and I’ll totally have questions.
(Kinda Runs)

Online rjkick

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
I have the "RockMolester kit" and I was able to install it with the exception of 1 spring in the front.  I say go for it and as long as you work logically you should have no problem.  At worst you get some help with 1 or more things that you are unable to complete.  I love the kit but I did have a Calmini lift with the diff drop installed so I can't speak to an install from scratch.

Good upgrade and go for it

Please post what you can and don't be afraid to ask about anything.  May have a Zuk member near you as well to assist
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 04:07:15 AM »
I am running modified control arms that give more than 1 inch lift and OME lXL7 springs on my 93 Tracker, and have ran 2" spacers with 4 door springs before that.  I have never had to use spring spacers to get springs in, but do have to remover the steering link and I am not running any sway bars.  With my jack stands at maximum height and the steering rod disconnected the control arm will swing down far enough to force the spring onto the control arm seat. Then use floor jack to raise control arm up and finish putting back together.  You do have to loosen the control arm mounting bolts because they hold the bushing in place by tension, but I have not had to remove them.  Don't forget to tighten the control mounting bolts when done.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline BiggDogg420

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
JustShipIt, I was curious as to if you tried purchasing and using these parts. I want to go with the Rockmolester style kit but as you were, I also am not 100% sure on how the part numbers and such translate out now. I have a stock 97 5 spd manual, 4 door, 1.6 16v sidekick. Please let me know how it went if you did decide to get them. Thanks!
(Kinda Runs)

Online rjkick

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »
Parts list looks good and it is really just the width on the spacers so you are good

I agree and say go for the self install as you can always take it in to get anything done that you have trouble with

I would suggest a tow bar like the $50 Harbor Freight tow bar and have the tow bar tabs welded on the front - unless you can weld then even better
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:49 AM »
Try these guys for the spacers...

http://www.daystarweb.com/products.php?id=30

In terms of the installation challenges - it's not difficult - I've done lift kit installations in my drive way, single handedly, in a weekend - using basic hand tools, a floor jack and a couple of sets of jackstands - I did not use a  spring compressor when I installed OME on my GV, but, I was not installing spacers which could make a difference - I got the longer springs in by removing the control arm pivot bolts and removing the arms.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:48:39 AM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara

Offline JustShipIt

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
"RockMolester" Frankenstein suspension - thoughts on the part list?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »
Howdy,

I've recently acquired a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick / Tracker, 4wd 4dr hardtop, 5spd manual, pretty much stock for now:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SSyNkLGBXhuzOtLy2

...but not for long! I plan to build it out as an mini overlander, similar to RockMolester's build:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/444978-4-door-sidekick-buildup-cool-daily-driver.html

To whit: I've sourced the springs, struts, shocks, and (I think?) the right spacers, but I'd like your opinions on my part list.

Springs:
   Part #ARB2962 (Front) https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/ARB-Old-Man-Emu-Coil-Spring-2962.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=10226&t_pn=ARB2962
   Part #ARB2955 (Back) https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/ARB-Old-Man-Emu-Coil-Spring-2955.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=10226&t_pn=ARB2955
Strut: Part #ARBN103S https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/ARB-Strut-N103S.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=ARBN103S
Rear shock: MX-6 Monotube Adjustable Shock Absorber https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Pro-Comp-MX-6-Monotube-Adjustable-Shock-Absorber-MX6021.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXPMX6021
Spacers:
   0.75" (Front) https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Trail-Master-75-Inch-Leveling-Lift-Kit-TM3407-20010.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=358&t_pt=9333&t_pn=T%2fMTM3407-20010
   1.75" (Back) https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Rubicon-Express-1-75-Inch-Coil-Spring-Spacer-Lift-Kit-RE1334.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=358&t_pt=3448&t_pn=R%2fERE1334
Camber bolts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HPNWAI/

The spacers are the parts I'm the least sure about, since I can't find the exact make of spacer that the op mentioned back in 2007 (Daystar?), and I'm not sure what dimensions I need to target besides thickness.

RockMolester insists the diff doesn't need to be dropped since he didn't have any cv issues, even with the longer struts/shocks and the upper strut mounts flipped.

Also, I've never installed a lift kit before, but I'm generally mechanically adept - how crazy would it be to attempt to install this myself? I have some options for renting a bay around me (I'm in the San Jose area). I'm not opposed to hiring a reputable shop to do the install, but I'm worried they'll be weirded out by  a 22 yr old Zuk. Advice?

More links for reference on RockMolester's build:
   http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=64158.0
   http://www.zukioffroad.com/1995-sidekick-4-door-daily-driver/?page-img5442=1